Diane Kovats, Executive Director - introducing her association
1. When was your association founded?
2. Where is your association based, how many members do you have & in how many countries?
- Based in Leesburg, VA
- Over 3,400 members
- 88 countries
3. Who are your members?
The International Society for Computational Biology, Inc. (ISCB) has emerged as the leading professional society for participants in the field of computational biology and bioinformatics. This diverse group includes researchers, practitioners, technicians, students, and suppliers.
4. What is your mission & aim of the association?
The International Society for Computational Biology (ISCB) is a scholarly society for advancing understanding of living systems through computation and for communicating scientific advances worldwide.
WHO WE ARE
Society membership reflects commitment toward the advancement of computational biology. The ISCB is an international non-profit organization whose members come from the global bioinformatics and computational biology communities. The ISCB serves its global membership by providing high-quality meetings, publications, and reports on methods and tools; by disseminating key information about bioinformatics resources and relevant news from related fields; and by actively facilitating training, education, employment, career development, and networking. We advocate and provide leadership for resources and policies in support of scientific endeavors and to benefit society at large.
5. What are the major challenges facing your association?
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Corporate Social Reasonability, Membership Growth, Rapid Area Growth, Sponsorship
6. What kind of events are organised by your association?
Mostly scientific conferences. We are also starting a digital online program which will be a combination of webinars that are research talks and trainings.
7. What is the decision process behind the selection of a destination/venue?
ISCB holds conferences around the world but mainly in the US and Europe. We have a growing presence Latin America and working on a presence in Asia.
8. Can you share your insights about the latest trends within the association community?
Booking parameters of use of convention space and the rooms block, growing need of equity within scientific disciplines, changing digital landscape, regulations to communications
9. What does your association do in terms of legacy, do your meetings have a societal impact on the destination?
We are working on this. We still have not found a good way to develop legacy with our meetings. We are a small staff with limited resources.
10. Are you looking to forge collaborations with other associations? If so in what areas of expertise?
Strategic planning, program development, small staff management
For more information on ISCB please check their website: www.iscb.org
- Email Contact