The Borneo Convention Centre Kuching (BCCK) has now been confirmed as one of 17 finalists in the 2018 edition of the prestigious AIPC Apex Award competition for “Best Client Rated Convention Centre”. This Award, which has been maintained by the International Association of Convention Centre (AIPC) for over 20 years, has achieved international recognition and respect due to the fact that competitors are rated entirely on the basis of a comprehensive set of ratings from centre clients tabulated by the global market research company Ipsos.
“It is by no means an easy road to be recognized among the world’s best Convention Centre’s and we are already humbled and proud that BCCK is among the 17 finalists in the 2018 edition of the prestigious AIPC Apex Award competition. The final standings will be revealed at the Annual AIPC event which is held in London this year,” says Eric Van Piggelen, CEO of BCCK. “Our team has worked extremely hard over the years to ensure we operate at the highest standards possible and this news allows us to dream even bigger. I am immensely proud of my entire team at BCCK. We will continue to be a catalyst for Business events in our great State of Sarawak”
“The AIPC Apex Award has a long and highly respected history in the meetings market which means the winner gains a great deal of respect from peers and leverage in the market, said AIPC President Aloysius Arlando. “This of course translates into better business prospects – but experience has shown that it doesn’t end there. It is also a source of pride amongst staff and a boost in community appreciation, both of which are also of great benefit to a centre, and that’s why being a finalist is in itself a real accomplishment”.
Arlando noted that for 2018 Ipsos has surveyed over 1843 client references put forward by participating centres – a significant sample that illustrates the comprehensive nature of client polling. “This means that we are talking about a very strong basis for the evaluation of competitors, and again, the reason for the credibility of this award”.
The final determination of the Apex Award winner will be made in advance of its presentation at the 2018 AIPC Annual Conference in London UK in early July.” The Apex Award is a crowning achievement, which is why it is so intensely contested and comprehensively judged”, said Arlando.
AIPC is an association comprising over 185 international convention centres in some 60 countries world-wide. Its mission is to encourage, support and recognize excellence in convention centre management and to maintain a range of programming that addresses this mission.
Note to Editors
ABOUT BORNEO CONVENTION CENTRE KUCHING
The Borneo Convention Centre Kuching (BCCK) is the first international purpose-built convention centre in Sarawak, Malaysia. The BCCK debuted in 2009, as a state initiative of the Sarawak Government to grow business tourism through the hosting of business events. To date, the BCCK has hosted close to 1,440 events and welcomed 1.834 million clients, delegates and visitors from various regions of the world. From its humble beginning, the BCCK is an exemplar in Malaysia of how a convention venue can rise to become an ambassador to promote its second-tier city. The Centre has received local, national and regional accolades for professional standards, innovation and best practices achieved within Malaysia’s business events industry, and for having the size and capabilities to handle the requirements of different conferences in a bespoke manner.
- 2017 Purpose Built Convention & Exhibition Centre Award for Excellence (below 15,000 sqm of total saleable space) – rAWr Awards Malaysia Business Events Awards of Excellence by the Malaysia Convention and Exhibition Bureau (MyCEB) and Malaysian Association of Convention and Exhibition Organisers (MACEOS).
- 2017 International Conference Award for Excellence (Hosting of the 55th International Congress and Convention Association Annual Congress) – rAWr Awards Malaysia Business Events Awards of Excellence by the Malaysia Convention and Exhibition Bureau (MyCEB) and Malaysian Association of Convention and Exhibition Organisers (MACEOS).
- Malaysia Best Employer Brand Award 2017 by Employer Branding Institute
- 2016 Conference Venue of the Year, by MICE Asia Awards, Singapore in conjunction with the annual MICE Asia Exhibition.
- 2015 Purpose Built Convention & Exhibition Centre Award for Excellence (below 15,000 sqm of total saleable space – rAWr Awards Malaysia Business Events Awards of Excellence by the Malaysia Convention and Exhibition Bureau (MyCEB) and Malaysian Association of Convention and Exhibition Organisers (MACEOS).
ABOUT THE RAINTREE RESTAURANT
The pride of BCCK, the award-winning Raintree Restaurant exudes the essence of fine dining, confidently blending chic and tribal elements in its design. Amidst the intimate ambience, the long expanse of its tall glass wall perfectly frames the panoramic view of the Sarawak River. Dining al fresco on the balcony overlooking the Centre’s verdant landscape is a breath of fresh air to mingle food, company and nature.
The corner bar within provides reasonably private space, for friends and associates to linger over premium Italian coffees and fruit juices, or wind down with select wines and simple cocktails.
- Malaysia Tatler – One of Malaysia’s Best Restaurants 2016
- Malaysia Tatler – One of Malaysia’s Best Restaurants 2015